In the municipality of Sahagún…
San Pedro de las Dueñas
Just 4 kilometres from Sahagún is the Monastery of Saint Peter of las Dueñas, declared a site of Cultural Interest in 1931. Building started in the XI century, with a remarkable collection of capitals. The most outstanding one is the capital of the seven nuns and a Christ by Gregorio Fernández.
Arenillas de Valderaduey
In Arenillas de Valderaduey you will find a remarkable altarpiece in the church of Santo Tomás, as well as the dovecotes and remains of popular architecture, and in Joara, north of Sahagún two XVI century paintings and a magnificent altarpiece by Cristóbal Colmenares, dating back to 1541. You can take a walk around the area and enjoy the views.
Saelices del Río
If you are interested in visiting nearby villages, start in Sahelices del Río, and also visit San Felíz church, a XIII century architectural jewel in Mudéjar style, with a chancel whose apse is decorated with three rows of rounded arches, then on to Villamol where the ruins of the Monastery of Santa María de Trianos, declared a site of Cultural Interest in 1949.
It was the convent of the canons of saint Augustín from 1185, although a papal bull mentioned the abbot and prior in Trianos in 1125 and in competition with the monks of Sahagún. Santa Maria la Real had a pilgrims` hostel, founded by Don Tello Pérez de Meneses and his wife Doña Guentruedo García around the same time as the reign of Alphonse IX. One of the bishops of Palencia came from this family. This was Don Tello, mentioned by Gonzalo de Berceo in his miracles. Don Pedro el Cruel met the beautiful María de Padilla here.
Going up towards the headwaters, the village of Cea preserves the remains of a magnificent castle with a long history (XI – XVII century). It was declared a place of Cultural Interest in 1949.
Close by is Almanza. Its XIII century lime and pebble wall protected the castle, the moat of which still remains, surrounded by circular angle masonry towers, the scene of legendary battles and historic traces outlined in the landscape of the town. The castle, which dates back to the XV century, was built on a XII century one, and was declared of Cultural Interest in 1949. The XII century Gothic-style arch was originally, and still is, one of the wall porticos.
Grajal de Campos
Grajal de Campos is located 5 kilometres south of Sahagún. It is a place of Cultural Interest with a XVI century castle, declared a place of Cultural Interest in 1931, Renaissance palace of the Count and Countess of Grajal, remains of a fortified enclosure currently forming part of the Virgen de las Puertas hermitage, Mozarabic cavern, XVI century public hospital, with tapial walls, the XVI century church of Saint Michael the Archangel, the old convents of the barefoot Franciscan monks and Nuestra Señora de la Antigua.
Gordaliza del Pino
Located 13 kilometres from Gordaliza del Pino is the parish church of Nuestra Señora de Arbás, similar to those in Sahagún, and dating back to 1146, although its current workmanship appears to be somewhat later. Inside, there is an altarpiece by Berruguete and valuable pieces of metal work.
Very close to Vallecillo, the parish church of Saint Peter the Apostle is a good example of XV-XVI century Mudejar style architecture. Currently in the process of being declared an asset of Cultural Interest.
Santervás de Campos
Continuing towards Valladolid province, 15 kilometres from Sahagún is Santervás de Campos, with its XII century Mudejar style church of San Gervasio and San Protasio, where Juan Ponce de León, who conquered La Florida, was baptised. A museum has recently been opened there in his honour.
Mayorga, 20 kilometres from Sahagún, is another historical village. It boasts a number of monuments, the most remarkable of which date back to the XVIII century: Casa de Cachón (an old palace belonging to the Pimentel family) , the Torre de El Salvador, Casa de los Calderones, Casa del Conde Catres, Casa Calle; The city wall archway is XV-XVI, the Rollo de Justicia dating back to the XVI century and declared an asset of Cultural Interest, Santa María de Arbás XV century church also of Cultural Interest, the unusual Bread Museum, in the XV century church of San Juan or the oldest stone letterbox in Spain
Following the VA-542 road, we come to Valderas, a site of Cultural Interest in León province. Its rich cultural heritage gives an insight into its past greatness. The Puerta de Santiago, close to the Arrejas arch, was built in the XVI century, in Mudejar style, by the Caballeros de Santiago and Alcántara. The trail of the town wall leads to the castle of Altafría, of Cultural Interest. The fortress was built by the King of León Fernando II in the XII century. The Palace of the Marqueses de Janillo, as well as emblazoned houses, such as the one belonging to Alvar Pérez de Osorio, are all worth visiting.
The village of Gordoncillo is 8 km away, with its old flour factory, now a museum. Opened on 9th of August, 2014, this cultural facility is located in an old industrial area consisting of the Marina Luz flour factory, a main store or “panera”, the miller’s house and other buildings. The walls of the building are made of rammed earth and adobe techniques, with a gabled or wooden hip roof (local poplar trees) and curved tiles. It has just been reformed and the ground floor is now an events room or auditorium, with dressing rooms and a large stage for concerts or plays; the upper floor is now used as a temporary exhibition room.
Leaving Sahagún, 35 km towards Palencia, we find some unique enclaves declared of Cultural Interest such as the La Olmeda Roman Villa in Pedrosa de la Vega dating back to the end of the I century, or the start of the II, during the Flavian period. Saldaña, the main town in the municipality, also deserves a visit with its old main square and surrounding area where the Castillo de los Duques del Infantado, both of Cultural Interest, can be seen.
Carrión de los Condes
Of Celtic Iberian origin, it was linked to a Roman settlement, although it was during the Middle Ages when this town flourished as a settlement, together with Sahagún. Count Gómez Díaz and the infanta Dª Teresa Peláez from León, were its main benefactors. Several monuments can be seen there: the Royal Monastery of San Zoilo, founded in the XI century, which benefitted from the protection of the Count and Countess of Carrión (it has a beautiful Roman entrance and a Renaissance cloister designed by Juan de Badajoz), The church of Saint James with an impressive entrance and the church of Saint Mary, the oldest in Carrión with a Baroque-style chancel by Felipe Berrojo.
Quintanilla de la Cueza
Not far from the Roman villa of La Tejada, is Quintanilla de la Cueza with buildings dating from the II century AD to the V century AD, of Cultural Interest.
Paredes de Nava
Located in the south of Palencia province, Paredes de Nava is the homeland of Jorge Manrique, Pedro Berruguete, a painter in the late XV century and Alonso Berruguete, the point of reference of Spanish Renaissance sculpture. The church of Saint Martin, built in the XV century, though extensively reformed in the XVII century, the church of Saint Eulalia with its original tower, Santa María, standing close to the Aljama of the important Jewish community residing there until 1412, the XV century church of Saint John or Saint Brigid’s Convent, are all noteworthy.